How many times have you seen a used napkin, plastic bag, old food, or other trash on the ground that looks pleasing to your dog? The amount of times old moldy food and garbage tempts your trusted four legged friend is the amount of times this trash a threat to your pet’s health. Some molds cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems for your pets. And a few molds, in the right conditions, produce mycotoxins, poisonous substances that can make you sick. Bacteria and viruses are the most common cause of food poisoning. The symptoms your pet can display of food poisoning vary, depending on which bacteria or virus has contaminated the food.
Every once in awhile, we may give in and give our pet a piece of our own food. It must be heaven compared to bland, boring dog food. Not only should you protect your four legged friend from trash that is not disposed correctly, you should also become aware of foods that are toxic to your furry friends, according to Memphis Veterinary Specialists & Emergency.
When it comes to eating garbage— why wouldn’t they see if they could get some of that good stuff out of it? Humans always have good food. Let’s try this!
Dogs by nature tend to lick, smell, or eat anything they see. Animals in general have incredible senses of smell, and they will inevitably often come across trash when searching for food. They obviously do not know the difference and assume it will be like what the humans eat. The danger comes when they begin to eat plastic, paper, or even moldy food. Garbage such as plastic and paper becomes toxic when excessive amounts are consumed. Any food laying around containing mold is extremely harmful to dogs and can lead to health issues as serious as poisoning.
Doesn’t it seem like animals never get full and they just want to keep eating and eating?
Cats may not dig in the trash like dogs, but they will try human food if given the chance. They are very sensitive to certain foods such as onions, garlic, and chocolate. On top of that, the danger of them eating these foods that have been sitting out and possibly grown mold are even greater. Animals can contract salmonella from spoiled food and transmit it to people. Keeping your pets safe will keep your family safe.
Trash is dangerous because your pet might be tempted to eat it, but things like plastic bags and strings could also cause them to get stuck and suffocate. Cats also love string, but they could easily confuse rubber bands for string which could be extremely harmful.
Make an effort to pick up your trash and others’ trash, so your pets have a safe place to play (or roam, if it happens to be a cat.) Prevention is the best solution!
About Team Waste
Team Waste is the largest independent, locally owned and managed solid waste collection and disposal business serving the Greater Memphis Metro Area. The company was founded on the belief that excellent customer service is the life blood of our business and that it is every Team members job to ensure that our customers are cared for with constant responsiveness and reliability.
Team Waste’s local leadership and management has over 100 years of combined experience in the solid waste industry giving us the experience to create the best waste collection game plan for your business or project. Team Waste has the Mid-South’s newest and most technologically advanced fleet that enables us to provide best-in-class capabilities and service that cannot be matched by our competition.
Memphis Veterinary Specialists & Emergency, “How can I tell if my dog has been poisoned?”, “Foods that are Toxic for Dogs”