You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.


Trashtastic Terms

Trashtastic Garbage Terms


Non-hazardous waste accumulation of food matter, paper, clothing, consumer product packaging, disposable diapers, office supplies, cosmetics, glass and metal containers or other products contaminated by food.

C & D Landfill

Class I Rubbish Site; This type of landfill receives construction and demolition debris, which typically consists of roadwork material, excavated material, demolition waste, construction/renovation waste and site clearance waste.

Subtitle D Landfill

Also known as a municipal solid waste landfill (MSWLF), it’s a permitted area of land or excavation that receives household waste. It may also receive other types of nonhazardous wastes, such as commercial solid waste and industrial nonhazardous solid waste. These landfills must meet more stringent requirements than C & D landfills.

Construction Debris

Waste building material resulting from construction, remodeling, repair or demolition operations.

Roll-Off Container

Rectangular, open-top box placed at homes, businesses and industries to collect garbage. These are mostly used for renovations, big projects/clean-ups or short term, large quantity garbage needs. Usually available in 10, 20 & 30 cubic yards.

Front Load Container

Dumpster with either a lid or a sliding side door that collects garbage at a business, industry or any other facility needing a collection point for garbage. These are mostly used for the daily collection/disposal of garbage. Usually available in 2, 4, 6 or 8 cubic yards and can be set up on a variety of pick-up schedules to accommodate needs.


Machine used to reduce the size/volume of waste material from businesses/industries.

Recyclable Materials

Newsprint, paper, aluminum cans, metal cans, plastics, cardboard or any other material for which recycling is an economically and/or environmentally preferable alternative to disposal.

Materials Recovery Facility (MRF)

A specialized plant that receives, separates and prepares recyclable materials for sale to end-user manufacturers.


Decayed organic material used as a plant fertilizer.

Bulky Waste / Bulk Waste

White goods, automobile parts, furniture and other waste material with weights or volume greater than those allowed for cards. Bulky waste is usually negotiated in a residential contract with a municipality. All air conditioners and refrigerators must be de-energized, meaning they must have a tag that certifies the “CFC” has been removed.


Furniture, printed material, pasteboard, rags, straw, used and discarded mattresses, used and discarded clothing or anything not included in the definition of bulky waste and construction debris.

Yard Waste

All wood waste, wood products, tree limbs, bagged leaves, bagged sawdust, bagged grass clippings, bagged pine cones, shrub trimming, Christmas tree, dead plants, weeds, straw and any other landscaping type waste generated from a homeowner and not from a contractor.

Hazardous Waste

Waste that is defined, characterized or designated as hazardous by the EPA or appropriate state agency. Some examples of hazardous waste include but are not limited to motor oil, gasoline, paint, light bulbs, batteries, electronics, aerosols, fertilizers, household chemicals, etc. Hazardous waste is not to be mixed with household garbage/trash and must be disposed of properly.

E-Waste (Electronic)

Televisions, monitors, laptops, printers, modems and any other household electronic waste. Some areas do not allow e-waste to be placed in landfills.

White Goods

Appliances such as refrigerators (tagged to indicate refrigerants have been removed), water heaters, washers, dryer, etc.

Special Waste

A waste that requires special handling, trained people and/or special disposal methods. It may be considered special due to its quantity, concentration or physical, chemical or biological characteristics. Strict regulations on special waste require appropriate hauling and manifesting.